As the vintage engagement ring trend is on the rise, find the special ring for the special day on Mearto.com.
To “put a ring on it” goes back a long time in history. Cavemen tied bands of braided grass around their mates’ wrists or ankles while ancient Egyptians wrapped a single silver or gold wire around the third finger of their loved one’s left hand.
Mary of Burgundy was the first known recipient of a diamond engagement ring, given to her by the Archduke Maximilian of Austria in 1477. The discovery of the diamond mines in Africa made this gem in vogue. The classic six-prong solitaire engagement ring was created in 1880s by Tiffany and decades later, in 1940s De Beers campaign “A Diamond is Forever” strengthened the solitaire’s place as the go-to engagement ring.
Diamonds are indeed forever and they might as well be a girl’s best friend but many women today prefer something a little less conventional. A splash of sapphire blue from 1930s or pearly elegance from 1950s might just be more special than a diamond solitaire produced in thousands.
1. A sapphire and diamond ring set with an oval-cut sapphire encircled by numerous diamonds, mounted in 18k white gold. F-H/VS-SI. Size 56. Italy, circa 1980. Price est.: DKK 25,000 Bruun Rasmussen
2. Ring. Yellow and white gold. 14 K. Executive with two old-cut brilliants 0.64 ct.
22 8/8 diamonds 0.30 ct. Total weight: 6.7 g. Assumed quality: top Crystal VS / SI Size 54. Price est.: SEK 38,000 Blomqvist
3. A sapphire and diamond ring set with an oval-cut sapphire on app. 1.17 ct. encircled by numerous brilliant-cut diamonds, mounted in 18k gold. Size 53. 2015. Price est.: DKK 15,000 Bruun Rasmussen
4. Ring by A. Dragsted: An emerald and diamond ring set with an emerald weighing app. 4.30 ct. encircled by numerous diamonds, mounted in 18k white gold. Size 54.5. Price est.: DKK 10,000-15,000 Bruun Rasmussen
5. Ring by A. Dragsted: A ring set with an oval-cut sapphire weighing app. 17.00 ct. and numerous single and old mine-cut diamonds, mounted in platinum. Size 54.5. 1930. Price est.: 10,000 Bruun Rasmussen
6. A diamond ring set with an old-cut diamond weighing app. 0.75 ct. encircled by numerous single-cut diamonds, mounted in 14k white gold. Colour: N. Clarity: P. Size 58.5. Circa 1950. Price est.: DKK 8,000-10,000 Bruun Rasmussen
7. A sapphire and diamond ring set with an oval-cut sapphire weighing app. 1.12 ct. flanked by numerous princess- and brilliant-cut diamonds weighing a total of app. 0.31 ct, mounted in 18k white gold. Size 50.5. Price est.: DKK 6,000-8,000 Bruun Rasmussen
8. Ring. White gold. 14 K. Ring made with a cultured pearl 8 mm and 14 brilliants 0.53 ct. Total weight: 5.3 g. Assumed quality: Top Wesselton SI SIZE 54.5. Price est.: NOK 5,000-6,000 Blomqvist
9. Ring. Gold. 14 K. Passed with a green tourmaline 11-10mm. Total weight: 5.8 g. SIZE 54. Price est.: NOK 6,000 Blomqvist
10. Ring. 18 k gold, stamped 1933, old-cut brilliant and 9 rose cut diamonds, ring size about 19 mm. Price est.: SEK 6,000 Stockholms Auktionsverk
11. Ring. David-Andersen. Yellow and white gold. 14 K. Set with an emerald 11.0 to 8.0 mm. 16 8/8 diamonds 0.22 ct. Total weight: 5.8 g. SIZE 52.5 Price est.: NOK 6,000-7,000 Blomqvist
12. Ring. Gold. 14 K. Set with an opal from 8.0 to 5.5 mm. Encircled by 12 old-cut diamonds 0.40 ct. Total weight: 2.9 g. Assumed quality: Wesselton SI SIZE 51. Price est.: NOK 4,000-5,000 Blomqvist
13. A ring set with an oval-cut synthetic sapphire encircled by numerous brilliant-cut diamonds, mounted in 14k white gold. Size 51. Price est.: DKK 4,000 Bruun Rasmussen
14. Ring, white gold, emerald and diamonds, ring size about 16 mm, weight about 5 g. Price est.: SEK 4000. Stockholms Auktionsverk
15. Ring. White gold. 14 K. Rosette made with a ruby from 6.0 to 4.0 mm. Encircled by 16 8/8 diamonds 0.12 ct. Total weight: 2.3 g. Assumed quality: Pique 1 and 2 SIZE 55.5. Price est.: NOK 2000-2500 Blomqvist
16. Ring, 18K rhodium plated white gold, faceted sapphire and 8 brilliant cut diamonds approx 0.02 ct / st, ring size approx 16.5 mm, weight approx 1.9 g. Price est.: SEK 2,500 Stockholms Auktionsverk
17. Ring. Gold and silver. 8 K. Executive with an emerald from 6.6 to 5.3 mm and composed of eight brilliant 0.50 ct. Expected quality: Crystal Pique 2 SIZE 50.5 Price est.: NOK 3000-5000 Blomqvist
18. Ring. Gold. 14 K. Executive with 18 sapphires and 30 brilliant 0.18 ct. Total weight: 5.0 g. Assumed quality: VS and SI SIZE 59 Price est.: NOK 4,000 Blomqvist